Homeowners remodeling San Marcos bathrooms frequently ask our team if they need a permit to remodel their bathroom. We were just asked that question in the last 24 hours, in fact, which is why we decided to prepare this post today. Ask yourself these questions to determine if you need to obtain a permit to remodel your bathroom.
Bathroom Remodeling Questions to Ask Yourself
- Am I moving any walls?
- I adding or moving any electrical work?
- Am I adding or moving any plumbing work?
If you are not sure if you need to pull a permit, any licensed contractor will know the answer once you start talking about your bathroom remodel project and scope of work.
Obtaining Permits From a Contractor’s Point of View
Permits are a good thing because they ensure your project is being built safely and to code. Even so, there are a few things you need to know about getting bathroom permits from a contractor’s point of view.
- The permitting time can be extensive. In San Diego it can take up to 6 weeks to obtain a bathroom remodel permit. It does not typically, but it can. Sometimes you can get an over-the-counter permit if you are just doing a single trade (electrical) permit.
- The bathroom remodel project will take longer to complete because we will have to stop for inspections. It is not a significant amount of time, but the city dictates their schedules, not us.
- Permits drive up the cost of your remodel because there are building requirements we can not avoid.
- Even though your contractor does not like permits, we know it is a necessary evil and we DO suggest you always pull permits.
- Determine who is going to pay for the permit. Our remodeling team coordinates getting the permits, but the homeowners are responsible for the cost of the permit. Each remodeling contractor is different though so make sure you clarify that when you select your contractor.
If you are ready to start digging into a bathroom remodel project in San Marcos, give us a call. We can discuss your dream bathroom, your remodeling budget, scope of work, and help to educate you on the remodel process.